View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Waz- Based upon my experience, I actually think SGC was extremely strict in their grading during their initial years. I do not think there is a difference in value, not at all. Furthermore, if you try to review and bump and old SGC graded card, worst scenario is they would encapsulate it with a new holder if it did not bump...
Kevin-

A nice young man asked a question, and your three sentence response had three false statements. In fact, your response was the exact opposite of what is well known by most everyone in the hobby.

1. It is known throughout the hobby that the earliest graded SGC cards, graded by Joe Merkel and in the old "SG" holders, were overgraded by today's standards.

2. There is a difference in value. Cards in old SGC holders regularly sell for less because it is known throughout the hobby that SGC does not extend its guarantee to these cards.

3. If you want to switch a card that is in an old holder into a new holder, SGC will treat that as a crossover like it would a card from another grading company. They will not "worst scenario" just encapsulate the card into a new holder at the same grade or better.

So yes, I was, as you put it, discontent with your response. Pissed, in fact, that you couldn't give a straight and honest answer.

By the way, thank you so much for buying my many overgraded cards. I know you have a keen eye, so I appreciate that you were so kind to buy such horrible cards just to help me out. And to think, even though the cards were so overgraded, you just kept right on buying them. What a guy!