View Single Post
Old 07-18-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
Same thing with me with respect to autographs. He did a signing two locally a few years ago with all proceeds benefiting the Special Olympics, and I was more than happy to pay the very reasonable fee he was charging. I also saw him play the National Anthem several times at Pacers games and had the pleasure of interviewing him once and speaking/corresponding with him a number of times. You would be hard-pressed to find a nicer and more humble ex-athlete from any sport. He was content with his accomplishments, and why not? But I always felt bad because his career was cut short by injury---he really played several years with a bad arm, and who knows whether he could have made the HOF. Yet he still excelled; by now I'm sure everyone knows about his W-L record, his 2 no-no's, the WS K record he set, and how he really dominated Mantle in the several times they met. Just as importantly, he is still a gem of a person off the field.
Very well expressed, Jethrod3. If I may say from you and the others have written, Carl Erskine is in the Golden Hall of Fame, where it really counts for something. Though I've never met him, after reading Roger Kahn's THE BOYS OF SUMMER 50 years ago, I had a much deeper appreciation for this man. ---Brian Powell