View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Sorry, my friend but you are wrong. What your real complaint is is that the seller won't give you the item at your price. He doesn't have to accept your evaluation; as I tell buyers taking that tack please go find the item elsewhere

that is very right, the seller can offer the item at whatever price he wants to. if it is considered too high by most, they dont have to buy it. no one owes another person a price at which they consider fair. what is a fair price? we have all seen autographs we believe to be too highly priced, or out of line from what we see similar autographs being offered, but that's life. once the buyer saw that the seller wouldnt move, he should have dropped it.

i sold corrie sanders boxing signed 8 x 10 photos for 150 dollars, he recently died, but the 150 price was when he was alive. no one thought that was reasonable, but they really couldnt get them anywhere else. i simply told them that corrie set the price, and they were free to find them elsewhere. 90% of the people that told me i was nuts ended up buying it. so was 150 unreasonable for a wbo champion of moderate success? it was supply and demand.

a guy from europe really wanted one bad and when i told him the price, cussed me up and down a blue streak through an email and told me i was crazy, should be locked up and if corrie thought his autograph photo was worth 150, he was crazy and why are we allowed to walk the streets and not in straightjackets on a locked down floor?

I simply told him that was the price and he could easily take the alternative and not buy one and he wouldn't get one from me, he was more than welcome to contact anybody else he wanted and buy from them. i knew he would email me again.

a few days later he emailed me and said that he was totally insane to offer me 75 dollars but if i took his offer he would pay and we could all have what we want, and he was doing me a favor by going so high with his offer. I told him nicely it was 150 or he could look around elsewhere, but the price was firm. he got mad again and really let me have it again, and said goodbye for good and that hell was too good a place for us. I knew he would email me again so i wasn't worried.

a few days later I get another email, this time asking me if i had come to my senses and was ready to take his 75 dollar offer, which he thought was 3 times more than it was really worth. I declined again because I knew i would hear from him again, it was guaranteed, I held the cards, he held none, and i knew it.

A couple of days later he emails again and says that he was must be out of his mind and was probably in need of a psychiatric checkup but he was willing to pay the 150 dollars but it was crazy for him to do so, but he really wanted one. I accepted his offer and collected the money and shipped the photo but I got no apology for him calling me every name in the book and a few I had never heard before. So the price may have seemed high, but comparative shopping and buying elsewhere usually solves the problem for the buyer and the seller too and there is no need to get hostile on either part.

It comes down to what it is worth to both parties and if that number is far apart, and no one is willing to move, just part ways and God bless everyone, the hobby is big enough and fun enough to just let it go.

Last edited by travrosty; 03-14-2013 at 11:52 PM.