Thread: Class of 2019
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 01:15 AM
Mikeknapp

Default Class of 2019

Edgar Martinez is the epitome of class and professionalism. I am so pleased to see this Seattle icon elected to the hall of fame. A few years ago my son called me and said Edgar was at the mall. I had this type I photo in my collection and always wanted it signed. I swallowed my pride and became a total fanboy. I raced to the mall in my car. I knew that the chances of actually finding him were slim to none. I was very wrong. I walked in and there he was. Somehow he looked much smaller out of uniform. I slowly approached him like some pathetic middle aged balding stalker with photo in hand. I apologized for intruding on his privacy. Embarrassed, I explained that I did not normally do such things. As I handed him the photo and asked him to sign it I considered telling him it was for my son. My behavior would have easily revealed that lie. It was painfully obvious this request for me alone. He smiled and shook my hand. He then actually thanked me for asking him to sign it. He even asked me where I wanted him to sign it. We talked for a few moments about the Mariners and baseball in general. I told him that I was at Game 5 of the 95 ALDS. I shared the absolute elation I felt watching him drive Jr. Home. He laughed and said he was pretty excited by the moment himself. I told him he belonged in Cooperstown. He thanked me for the compliment. I walked away feeling like an eleven year old who just met his favorite player and that player was everything he expected him to be. I am absolutely thrilled for Edgar. I'm only sorry it took so long for him to receive this well deserved honor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type_I_1993_Edgar.jpg (71.2 KB, 191 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)