View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Default What do consignors want from an auction house?

Posted By: warshawlaw

1. Communicate In A Business-Like Manner: I am stunned at how unprofessionally some auctioneers handle communications with consignors, potential consignors, and potential bidders. A real simple thing do to is to return calls and emails within 24 hours of receipt, or have a very good reason for not doing it. I try like heck to do that in my practice. An old maxim I once heard is "I called you, I didn't hear back, I hired somewhere else." Second, be level-headed and professional with everyone. You never know whether the guy looking to sell the cruddy collection you won't touch might know someone who has a gem to sell. Some auction house employees tend to forget that everyone is part of the general public. Trash talking is not acceptable. Third, be professional in person. I find this especially interesting at shows, where I have seen auction house reps engage in a variety of obnoxious or mildly disgusting behaviors. This is the public face of the company; eat your friggin' nachos at the snack bar and don't greet potential consignors looking like the comics guy from The Simpsons. Third, don't BS me; unless you know who I am don't spew a load of unsubstantiated crap about your consignments. My favorite last year was the guy from one auction house who tried to convince me that some very common British boxing cards were really rare and valuable.

2. Listen To Consignors: I simply cannot believe how tough it is to get some auctioneers to let consignors have input into the auction description. Like it or not, most advanced collectors are better versed in the intricacies of their items and are about the best resources out there for proofing and supplementing the description. I am frequently (and pleasantly) surprised as a bidder to receive rarities that were not listed in the auction description; obviously, someone did not know what they had there and did not have the skills to ask. I was very pleasantly surprised when I was asked to help write the description for the latest item I consigned to an auctioneer. Regardless of outcome, I have a favorable impression of the process.

3. Never, Ever Change Rules On Consignors, Even If You Can: The whole debacle with Mastro jacking up its BP after consignments were in hand and ready to go was completely unnecessary. I think it not only ticked off a lot of consignors who suddenly lost 5% of their lots' values, it also put off a number of bidders.

4. Technology, Use It: There is no excuse for inadequate descriptions and lack of images on internet auctions. Every significant card in a lot should be pictured, front and back, and group images of the others should be included as well.

5. Don't Get Too Comfortable: Guess what? The collecting world has a lot of competing auctioneers and everyone with half a brain and a serious itch to collect goes to every one of their internet auctions. If you mistreat people, they will walk.

6. Don't Patronize Me: Should be obvious, but isn't. I don't wanna hear that you "had" to raise the BP, or that a not so rare item is so rare; it's a load of bull and also obviously untrue to anyone with any real experience in the hobby. Credibility is hard-earned and readily squandered.

7. Close The Back Door: There is more than one auction house I will NEVER consign to because I have seen items consigned to them selling on ebay a week after the auction closes, offered by sellers employed or affiliated with the auction house. If I have even the slightest suspicion that there is something wrong with your auctions, I am GONE.