Thread: Trimmed Cards
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Default Trimmed Cards

Posted By: steve k

Jay - Take a look at the thread of Hal's t206 Wagner which has a picture. We might not be communicating right about what is an "abrupt angle" but at the top left corner there is sort of an "abrupt angle" slightly towards the top edge. Perhaps when you meant "abrupt angle" it would look different than this. But obvious trimming is easy to spot - what is tough is spotting a "professional" trimmed job.

On this t206 Wagner - This "abrupt angle" or "indentation" whatever it would be called, could have been many, many years ago a ding, a rubber band mark, or who knows what but it's there. But the wear on the four corners looks evenly aged and not trimmed - and of course that's too easy of a call because it's already in a SGC holder - LOL.

But if I saw a raw card like that, with an angle like that, with UNEQUAL wear, then in my view it most likely would have been trimmed. Of course, good scammers realize this also but I have never inspected a card in person with a magnifying glass whereby "wear" was successfully done - again though...on a scan sometimes this is difficult to detect which is why for me personally when buying an expensive (for me expensive is over $100 - LOL) card off of ebay I always only buy a slabbed card from a reputable grading company - never raw. In person though I buy raw cards all the time.

Steve