View Single Post
Old 05-09-2002, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Default Continuing the HOF debates -- Who Should NOT be in and why

Posted By: W.M.

2seamer

When I was growing up Rose was probably the most exciting player to watch and I always figured he would be in the HOF first ballot. I agree we all make mistakes and even the Strawman deserved a second
chance. Maybe all baseball players today do gamble all though probably not all of them and placing bets on sporting events and gambling in Atlantic City and Las Vegas is not illegal. Rose didn't just get caught it was proven that while off the field and engaged in his personal life he bet on baseball games including the games of his own team, these bets could have influenced the way he managed his team and effected his teams play. Rose a experienced baseball man violated a rule that has now been in effect over seventy years, he had to have known it was and is baseball's biggest rule in regards to on the field and off the field behavior. He also had to have known some of baseballs greats were banned from baseball for simillar behavior. He still made a concious choice to ignore the rule and ignore the possible punishment for violating the rule.

I think baseball recognizes gambling on baseball games as the one social ill that can ruin the game. Rose is a necessary example of that. Because of Rose's behavior I dont think he should ever be allowed in.

W.M.