View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Default Favorite Dealer(s) at the National

Posted By: tbob

Gary Nucherino was my favorite with the Dynamic Duo of Leon and Scott and John Billingsley right behind. I met several nice dealers and almost all were pleasant although many of the names escape me. One dealer whom I have bought cards from in the past and also competed against on ebay who was very friendly and whose prices were competitive was Tom Witek. I purchased one card from Tom on-site and bought another one he had at home but is mailing. I enjoyed meeting Tom and rank him near the top also.
On the other end of the spectrum, although he seemed quite cordial, I thought Wayne Varner of Shoebox Cards whose motto seemed to be "not a penny less than the listed price" missed a lot of sales and money by his tight fisted attitude. His prices weren't all that great to begin with either. I bought a PSA4 E93 Chance from him and it was probably one of the very few cards I bought at the whole show which was full price.
The best negotiator I saw at the show as far as getting the best possible price on a card had to have been Tim Newcomb. Tim is a master at getting the best possible price. I hear Quan is quite good also but I never got to see him in action. My favorite line of the whole show was when I asked Gary N. if he was still giving a Forum 54 discount on his cards and he said yes he was, Quan immediately informed Gary that he hadn't heard about any such discount. Gary turned to Quan and said dead-pan, "Quan, you have to buy a card first in order to get a discount." We all laughed at that