View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 07:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default New finish for store model Louisville Slugger

I posted the following a while back in the Game Used Universe forum, and got zero responses. 139 views and zero responses. Okay, I've finally learned - even questions about modern game-used items are a waste of time over there.

So here's my question. I'll add that I've since bought some spray-on poly and the can says that it's for 'indoor' only. If that's the case, is there a product that would work better for items that are likely to get rained on, etc.? I realize that this is not an area of expertise for us vintage guys, but Game-Used Universe is generally a waste of time for anything other than showing off your newest acquisition. So we're all that's left.

I have an early 70's store model Louisville Slugger (Powerized) that is solid, but was covered with marks, finish issues, etc. Since it's no more than a $25-40 bat, and I plan on hitting with it, I decided to practice my refinishing skills. I cleaned off marks with a magic eraser dipped in denatured alcohol, sanded lightly, then rubbed on two coats of natural Danish oil.

From searching other threads here regarding bat finish, I'm thinking a wipe-on polyurethane should be the next step. I want something strong, as I might hit with it - real baseballs, not the batting cage plastic ones.