View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 04:51 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
i agree that many of these 'almost' No-NOs' are getting annoying on the MLB hype machine and that Bum's was much better than many this year..but again he got 2 outs from Archie Bradley who would be worse than every DH in the AL, pitch count would of been higher with a DH in most cases as well.....thus an AL almost no hitter would of meant something more...like i said in he original post, we keep hearing about NL no hitters.....much more than AL
Idk if I posted this already, but the entire "NO HITTER' thing is just a big hype machine. So many of them are not even that impressive of a performance (ie. lots of walks, amazing defensive plays behind the pitcher saving his butt) but ESPN and MLB Network are in the bidness of making $$$ so hype they do.

as far as the difference between the NL and the AL, facing a pitcher 2 times vs a DH (and the days of the monster DH as a rule are mostly over with a few exceptions) just isn't that huge. All a no hitter is ,is a confluence of variables leading to a result . But since there have been nearly 300 of them in MLB history, one can't even call them rare. They just are a flukey thing that happens every once in awhile when a pitcher's on the batters off and the defense is on point.

Would you say a 9 inning no hitter with 6 walks is MORE impressive than a one hit shutout with zero walks? I would argue the latter was the superior pitched game.