View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Erik

Default 1958 Topps All-Star Sub Set

I am not a set builder for baseball though I am for football and have a couple sets from the 1960's. That being said, I am toying with the idea of collecting the 1964 and more importantly the 1965 Topps Baseball sets as those are my favorite two years from the 1960's. It will take a while but having fun with both.

As a high school student back in the 1980's I put together the '58 Topps All - Star sub set. Some twenty plus years later they are still my favorite group of cards in my small but growing collection.

I am sure several remember the Hart to Hart episode that featured a young boy who inherited a great collection of vintage baseball cards from his deceased father. The cards were stolen and eventually Jonathan Hart (Robert Wagner) wins them back by flipping.

One of the cards they showed was Stan Musial's first Topps card, the '58 All - Star and I instantly fell in love with that sub set. The last two cards I picked up for that were the Mantle and Ted Williams and I believe I paid $10 for each back in the 80's.