View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 08:26 AM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default raincheck had to be turned in a ticket office

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I’m afraid you won’t get far pinning down the date using the sponsor’s name. Holmes was the largest retail baker in the area at the time, and as noted, had been there awhile. Hopefully you can discover that they only placed their ads on the backs of tickets during one season, like they did with the m101-5 cards. Their address was at one time on E Street and First; however, they had multiple expansions around 1912 and thereafter, and the F Street and 1st address is likely part of the same complex. The phone number and street address stayed the same during that time.

It seems pretty clear the ticket was from the 2nd game of the 1913 season against Boston, as observed. I agree that it may not have been necessary for a rain check to be exchanged for a new ticket. I believe this is particularly so given the time of the season. It was only the second game of the year being played. The first attempt at game 2 was not played and likely was never started. Any ticket taker could think back to 12 days prior and remember that other than the opener, no home games had been played. Even if the practice was to redeem and exchange, I could see a ticket taker recognizing the validity of any game 2, 3 or 4 rain check under those circumstances. Moreover, the game was unremarkable, which weighs against any incentive to fake the score notation. Finally, I disagree somewhat with the notion that two other games with the same outcome from the era may have produced this ticket. In both the 1916 and 1919 seasons, home game 2 was actually played as scheduled. I do not see how such a game(s) could have formed the basis of a valid rain check, even if it did not have to be exchanged for a new ticket.
in 1913 When the Red Sox Came to town it was the first Visit To Washington as World Champions , there would have been a great Demand for the tickets as evident on the 14,000 attendance there were only 3 games all season that got more than 10,000 one was opening day the other two were against the Red Sox

Baseball clubs were not in the business to allow any one with a raincheck for a previously rained out game to just go to the turnstiles and that would cause to much confusion , if presented they would be told to go to the Ticket office and exchange for the game being played subject to availability , to prevent over capacity , also the ticket had already been paid for and if never used it was a win win for the club so that why they made the rule . Home Games 2-3-4-5-and 6 were rained out so when the REDSOX came to town
the demand would have been great , so having 100's or possibly thousands unaccounted for patrons show up with their raincheck would have been a logistical nightmare if same ticket was allowed entry
i have seen 100's of rain checks from pre WWII that clearly state in the event of game not legally played ticket must be exchanged for any future game "SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY " AND THE MLB teams all followed the same rules , this was done to have accurate revenue gate receipts which the away team would share some of .

Last edited by megalimey; 11-30-2017 at 08:27 AM.