View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 09:01 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Congrats Graig !!

The press is well deserved. I'm personally happy to see Graig's research on Charlie Bennett's suit coming along. I originally had the information from the Detroit Free Press which was a good starting point but incomplete. The final detail to pin down is the color of "DETROIT" across the chest. From 1886 to 1888 the Wolverines used both red and blue, perhaps during same year (home/road etc.). While things like belt and socks could and did change based on whether they were home or road, not yet sure the shirt (or pants) changed. The April 1886 photo shoot at Tomlinson studio is undoubtedly with red socks and belt, just not sure if "DETROIT" is in blue or red. Graig has helped locate some new sources (some shown below) of information and I'm hopeful there are more to come. We are getting close!

Does anyone read the sources differently than I? It would be very helpful to know what the "St. Paul Globe" means by "trimmings".

Thanks Graig!
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers