View Single Post
Old 09-30-2018, 09:06 AM
Mike Henry
Mi.ke Hen.ry

I would say that reading biographies has been the biggest influence on my card collecting. About 12 years ago I read Stump's hatchet job on Cobb and I was obsessed. I've read about every Cobb biography out there and my collections has grown over time.

I've noticed that my collecting preferences only really change when the book has a huge influence on my opinion (one way or the other) about the player. For example, I read biographies on Walter Johnson, Lou Gehrig and Ted Williams and I've been obsessed ever since. The Glory of Their Times was an enormous influence - read the sections about Sam Crawford, Hans Lobert, Specs Toporcer and Chief Meyers and try pass over a good deal on one of their cards.

On the hand, I've read biographies about Joe Jackson and Babe Ruth and really wasn't that influenced. Both were well-written; I just didn't find myself intrigued by the players. More than anything, they just confirmed things I always suspected.

Always buying and selling everything prewar, ESPECIALLY TY COBB, and also 1950s cards.