View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 09:47 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Default Negro League Baseball Research Group

Hey all,

Over the past few months there have been a number of posts regarding the Negro Leagues and among those particularly interested in the leagues, there is a strong feeling that many players are not getting the credit they are due (whether with the HOF or otherwise).

A number of people have spoken about what they may be able to do. There was a call for sending letters to relevant parties to promote Negro League research and encourage the HOF to again consider some of the great players who were prevented from playing in the Majors.

One of the most basic thing I have heard from people I have been in discussions with is the need for more information and more research. The stories of many of these players have never really been told. And with the internet making access to old newspapers and the like much easier, it seems like we have a chance to access info that was much tougher before.

I was thinking that maybe we could get a group of people together who would collaborate on research. We could use shared Google Docs and the like to gather information on different athletes, and put that together (possibly in a series of articles.) I imagine if each person took 1 player (or one team etc) but also kept an eye out and shared info on anything else they came across), we might be able to find some really interesting things.

Having people across the country might also allow us to find relatives of deceased players, and build out the story in ways that we otherwise would not have been able to.

I was hoping to get any thoughts/comments/critiques on the idea and see if anyone was interested in working on something like this?