View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatloaf View Post
Safety deposit box auction done by a company that does not know anything about sports cards or autos.
I'm picturing something slightly more upscale than an episode of Storage Wars. The company conducting the auction certainly would like to get as much money as possible, but the fact that they didn't lay out several hundred dollars and wait a couple months to get the item back from authentication doesn't seem at all surprising to me.

It doesn't make the auto any more or less real, but the fact that the selling agent didn't seek third party authentication prior to the auction just seems to reinforce the op's suggestion that the seller does not know anything about autos. (Otherwise, if they really wanted to maximize their return and knew what they were doing, why would they be selling it in a "safety deposit box auction" rather than a more traditional auction setting?)

I would guess there are also rules and/or laws in place governing the disposal of the contents of abandoned safety deposit boxes, though I have no specific knowledge of such.