View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Default Kevin Saucier - Adding Value

Posted By: MikeU

"Mike,

So how does he make money under your vision?

I know of at least one major collector who has had Mike look at a significant percentage of the cards in his collection."

Jim,

To bring the dicussion full circle:

Genesis:

1. This does nothing to clean up the hobby, which I thought was always an underlying premise of these efforts.
2. This is simply a second set of eyes for collectors.
3. The second set is needed for you because you do not trust PSA to either get is right a majority of the time or reimburse you for bunk cards.

Things I do not understand (My ignorance):

1. You trust Mike Baker more than PSA, but will not use them.
2. You trust Dave Forman more than PSA, but will not use them.
3. You trust Derek Grady more than PSA, but would not buy from Mastro and probably do not currently buy from Heritage.
4. As a HOF collector, you do not hold PSA to task for bunk cards. You do exactly what they want by sticking with them despite items 1-3 and will even pay other parties addition money to double check there cards.
5. Your entire problem is that PSA does not guarantee their product.
6. For newly started sets, there is no reason why you could not use a different grader that gives you more assurance.

Switching Costs:

1. For you at this point, I can appreciate for the sets you have underway, that it would be a big deal to switch and you feel the best option is a second set of eyes. This allows a niche for Kevin.

Kevins Current Niche:

1. PSA collectors that feel their switching costs are too high and despite their lack of guarantee are plowing forward.
2. To compensate for the lack of guarantee, they want a second set of eyes to feel good about purchases.
3. These collectors have several options i.e. Mike Baker as you mentioned above, who are much more visable or wholly accepted.
4. Kevin has been uable to secure a job at either PSA or GAI. This could steer many of the collectors in chosing other second opinion individuals.
5. Most collectors need or desire any other opinion than the one on the slab, regardless if it is GAI, PSA, SGC or BVG. That is enough in and of itself.
6. Kevin has obviously secured Jim's business and could get more, but there are certinaly limitations noted in 1-5.

My Potential Current Needs for Kevin:

1. I use SGC, so I am comfortable with their guarantee and need nothing else.
2. However, lets say I am ready to buy an SGC 88/8 49 Leaf Paige. This is a lot of money for me and I would not mind a second opinion.
3. For this issue, I would probably track down Ted Z. before Kevin.
4. Since Kevin and Ted Z. can give advice with no consequence, it does not mean a great deal, but I might pass on a card that Ted Z. gave the thumbs down on. So there is some value in gut feeling, but nothing of real substance.

Future Potenial For Kevin:

1. If Kevin posted certification numbers on his site, I would probably steer clear of those cards. That is a gut feeling value.
2. Once he does this, initially graders will likely say (He can not get a job here, he is not a grader, he is second rate etc.) They will tell this to dealers and try to undermine Kevin.
3. Kevin either has the skills or not. If not he will sputter quickly and should simply stick to his non-consequence 2nd opinon plan.
4. If Kevin does have the skills, he should be able to point out the specifc flaws to the graders and dealers to help pull the cards off the market and help dealers obtain their money back from the graders.
5. If he has enough skill to do #4, then he has something special and could really make some money and be a valued source. That was my vision plan.