View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Rich makes an excellent point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Most cards don't require much more than a few lines.

One paragraph on the background of the player

One paragraph on the card's grade and if needed; an explanation of the importance of said condition.

NOW; there are memorabilia pieces which require more detail as to explain WHY the piece exists may take a few paragraphs.

Thus; for the average collector on this board; card descriptions are too long and mem descriptions need more detail.

But we also have to remember; that not every collector knows what we DO about these cards.

Rich
The more familiar or educated a person is with an issue - the more boring the wordy "fluffed" description will likely be. I am sure the houses are adding some "newbie" bidders in each auction who I am sure have the potential to be significantly swayed with an "exciting" albeit often inflated (imo) description. This Leads to more revenue for the auction house and higher prices for the consignors. I guess the upside for the established/knowledgeable collector is more people entering the collecting world and come time for us or our heirs to sell off our collection hopefully leads to greater fruits for our efforts.