View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Default OTish - Wright & Ditson Basketball? shorts

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
Once again, thank you very much to everyone who has helped me with my questions on memorabilia I have posted to this board!
I recently acquired these vintage tennis shorts (see scans below) at a flea market (where else?). The label reads Wright & Ditson Boston, but I read that Spaulding bought this company in the early 1890s, and they also used this label on tennis rackets into the 1930s or later. Ergo, I assume the shorts are not from the 1890s but instead from some time in the first half of the 1900s (most likely latter part). Please note, this assumption is based on no evidence (beyond what I read) nor special knowledge (I do not collect a lot per se, instead roaming flea markets looking for oddball good deals). Sorry for the rambling, but here are my questions:
1. When are these shorts from?
2. Does any one know of any boards similar to this one for vintage tennis items?
3. Any idea on value (please note, there is at least one button missing and there is heavy staining as well as a few holes)?
4. Anything else you can tell me about these shorts (they look like they would be quite uncomfortable to play in)?
If this post is considered too off topic, please feel free to hijack it by showing your baseball related Wright & Ditson pieces.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Edited title to reflect information provided by Clint
Alan