View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 05:38 PM
Larry

We had a poll not too long ago, wherein, going by recollection, 76% (?) of us favored card restoration, as long as it was transparent, i.e., NO INTENT TO DECEIVE! I personally believe that restoration is indeed coming along those lines, and do not believe anything is wrong with it. Transparency could be achieved by the TPG's issuing guidelines (which enable ready detection), which, when followed, would result in a "restored" grade, perhaps accompanied by a numerical grade, or not, rather than "altered." In fact, I bought a 1929 R316 Kashin Mel Ott with that end in mind for a relative song--it was missing a small portion of a corner, had worn corners and a pinhole, but had centering far better than that typically found with this issue. Restored, it would make for a beautiful example of this great Giant's player.

We'll see what time does in this regard--restoration is condoned in some areas of collecting, but not others. As stated, as long as it is transparent, with no intent to deceive, there would be little opportunity for fraud.

Just my two cents worth,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 01-12-2016 at 03:37 PM.