View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Default Why isn't Rarity the No.1 factor in determining a card's value?

Posted By: Joe D.

Yes, I listed the Matty at a high price. Perhaps too high for my own intentions. The listed price may be scaring away offers - and if so, some of the intention was wasted.

First let me say I posted the question here on this board - whether or not something like that was frowned upon on N54 (posting a high buy it now to see what kind of offers come in). I didn't want to do anything that would be looked at in a negative light, but at the same time - I did want to see what kind of offers would come in.

The card has frustrated me a bit - mainly because its scarcity is making it difficult for me to pin down a proper valuation.

I could walk into any decent card show and see a Matty Dark Cap T206 at every table -- and often more than one at a table. I could then go up and down the isles and not find a single Matty Orange borders. Not one.

There is no doubt in my mind that this card is many times more scarce than the T206. Could someone else please post a Matty Orange borders in any condition - I would like to see another one... because I have yet to find one (I know there are others out there, I am not suggesting this is the only one, just pointing out scarcity).

Let me go a step further. I personally have owned a D304 Butter Krust Matty, and have seen many more D304 Matty's offered up than Matty Orange borders. A D304 Matty (which I may be mistaken, but I think might be more common) in this condition would go for a higher price than my eBay listing price.

Now... more toward your question:
Rarity by itself is not a driving force toward price. Demand is. Plain and simple.

Rarity can of course effect demand... but sometimes it does not do it in an equitable fashion. So, a card that is more rare but less desired / may price lower than a more common card.

Now... when I see a T206 common in high grade go for $8,000?!?! - I think that was a deciding factor for me to make the listing (it was either that or something similar). If for nothing else the listing was just my statement... A statement that I think this card does not get the attention deserved. It was a "get to know this card, get to know this set" type listing. And I think worth every penny of the $6 listing fee. Anybody with an orange borders card should be thanking me

Edit:
May I also say, a silly thing that holds this card back in valuation - in my opinion - is that it doesn't have a proper designation. If it was called an E115 or something like that... more interest would follow. Sounds silly, but I think it is true.