View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Michael,
Great post! Congrats on your pickup-that's a great one.

It should also be noted that having the obvious historical knowledge base that you have of the Olympics is huge when it comes to finding a diamond in the rough like you just shared with us. Nice job!
Scott,

Thank you for the kind words. I have varied interests and I find that paying attention to as much as I can helps me find those diamonds. I am sure the full time dealers like Richard and Jim can attest to that extra knowledge paying big dividends. Ebay has created such a market that I am finding items that are reasonably identified but are real prizes. Two of my favorites are:
1932 Steamship menu for a ship going from Hawaii to Los Angelas for the 1932 Olympics signed by Duke Kahanamoku.

WWI Visitors book from Camp Grant in Chicago. The seller was good enough to post many pages, but said he could not identify most of the signatures. He did not recognize President William Howard Taft which is what I bought it for. Sold that for more than the book. When I got the book I went through every signature and found the equivalent of 2 Hope Diamonds in a Cracker Jack box. The first was Very rare Hockey Hall of Famer Major Frederick McLaughlin signed with his rank and regiment. The regiment was called the 'Black Hawk' regiment and he was the founder of the Chicago Black Hawks. The second was Edwin Hubble after whom the telescope was named. He signed the book with his rank and regiment and slightly different spelling of his name - Hubbel. See the images below.

I hope I can share some of the interesting signatures of Olympians that I own or have owned. Some have great stories and some show that you can never really know enough about the signatures you collect.

Brent, I also want thank you, but I do not know how to put two quotes in a post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kahanamoku,-Duke-(1932).jpg (7.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg mclaughlin-3.jpg (6.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg hubbell.jpg (71.3 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by Michael B; 02-28-2013 at 04:45 PM.