View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 02:44 AM
Colby Neal-Tan

Default Baseball dying?

I read through the seven pages and needless to say I'm disappointed in the older collectors/dealers on this thread. Baseball is dying? That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I've played baseball my whole life up until last year and I've never seen so much interest in this sport by people my age today. The game is becoming exciting. It's becoming international. I respect the game and love the history, but back then baseball was a national pastime because there was nothing else to do or watch... It might not be a national pastime now but still has a more than strong following. The old-timer era of baseball is going away. Today baseball players have what you call "swag". The showmanship and cockiness that the stars today are what kids emulate tomorrow. The game is evolving to appeal to the average short attention spanned American. Anyways, I do not wish to go on but hearing that baseball is dying just seemed to me to be a very skewed view...

Back to the O/T. The reason why you don't see kids and early to mid-twenty year olds is because they can't afford to be in this hobby. Even if they could buy the $5-10 modern packs, I feel they have this view instilled in their brain that if this pack doesn't have a relic/auto these cards are worthless. Therefore, if I can't buy the whole box which is guaranteed a hit then why waste my money on a pack that's not guaranteed a hit. Also, there's just too many options for the average kid. I want to buy vintage cards but most of the time I have to just sit and wish. I started collecting when I was 10 years old back in 2002. My grandfather got me into the hobby and fueled my future addiction to the hobby. I only bought modern cards because I didn't know any of the post-war or pre-war players. I started buying SP Legendary Cuts because I wanted that cut-auto of Mickey Mantle. I found myself intrigued by the players on the cards, but knew none of their names. I read Beckett religiously back then and was curious to why this player was "worth" more than this player. That's where I began my journey searching their stats and records. Soon I found out why Tris Speaker was worth more than Rogers Hornsby and so on. The history was fascinating. Unfortunately, my grandfather passed away of cancer in 2004. Collecting cards was too expensive for me so I stopped. The only thing I could afford was a Beckett subscription... Now that I'm older and have money, I'm back collecting in full force but this time only vintage.

Sadly, I must admit I personally know only a few collectors my age... I know hundreds of people who love baseball but only a few of which who know John McGraw or even Carl Yastrzemski. My point is that to collect vintage cards and not get caught up in the gambling game of modern cards, there has to be a connection to the history. I don't think 50-60s cards are going to rise in value. Really I don't see any common cards of most sets pre-1970 going up in value. As more years pass today's semi-stars won't even be sought after. I do truly believe the true heroes, legends, and superstars will continue to rise as long as the game of baseball continues. There are just too many post-war/pre-war cards being hoarded by baby-boomers right now. Card prices are high because you have all the old guys wanting to buy their dream cards for their bucket list. I'd love to see a percentage of cards bought over $1000 by collectors over the age of 40. Unfortunately, when they pass the market will be more than flooded. Prices will drop. Panic from the few left will fill the forums. Luckily, I will be there to embrace this flood. There is light on the other side of the tunnel.