View Single Post
Old 08-25-2022, 09:28 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

I'm your man, Moe.

As the chief surgical resident at one of the Northwestern hospitals, one of my duties was to attend or have someone attend all the Wrigley games in 1977. I did most of them myself. The official team physician was Jake Suker, an endocrinologist. Why, I don't know, but Jake was a good friend of the director of the surgical training program, and the residents aways got the Wrigley assignment.

I would spend the morning in the operating, hop on the el to Wrigley for the game and return to the hospital to see the post ops and the other hospitalized patients on the service.

At Wrigley I had an 8 seat box on the field level spitting distance from the visitors on deck circle and could comp 7 guests in my box including concessions. I didn't have to run out onto the field, but saw players from both teams in the clubhouses. I also covered the first aid station for the fans. I always sent the stars from the visiting teams to the hospital for precautionary X-rays. For the Cubs I usually let the players decide. I remember seeing Bill Madlock and asking him if he wanted to continue or be taken out of the game. He wanted to play. I figure that over the course of the year I may have been responsible for two additional Cub wins although you will not find me in the boxscore.

On the weekend we once saw the Reds at Wrigley and then drove to Milwaukee and saw the Yankees and the Brewers. After the game we went to the bar at the Yankees hotel. Ten or so Yankees joined us.

Steve Renko of the Cubs had a thyroid nodule and I sent him to Dr. Suker.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.