View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yes, the price of a pack has gone up a lot even compared to other stuff.

Gas - .62/gallon
Stamp - .13
gallon of milk - 1.68
Pack of cards -.15

Now, Gas 3.55 =5.72x
stamp .49 = 3.76x
Milk $3-4 = @2x
Pack of cards (Topps base wax pack only) 2.00 = 13.3x

Of course I've heard my nephews and friends kids talk about the payoff from the tooth fairy- I thought I did well at .50 for the first one, which had to be pulled. Now I think they say it's around $5!

I'm on the fence about the memorabilia cards. I like the occasional signed ones, but don't collect many autographs. I was really into signature rookies, and sort of still pursue them. Any I find in the dollar box are usually bought.
Yes, Wildcard, Signature rookies, Edge .............I'm a harbinger of doom for a card company. I'm surprised Topps is still around.

Some uniform cards are ok. I don't like the ones with old stuff on them, but current players it doesn't bother me. I figure the uniforms are worn once and then sold. I got a Mark Cuban "suit card" from A+G last year. Pretty cool since I'm a fan of shark tank.

If I buy something like Topps 206 or Goudey, it's for the set itself. Any old card I'd get would be just a bonus. (And a dilemma, which set would I put it with??)

I liked the design of some of the 80's Donruss too. 81, and 84 especially. I tend more towards good design even if it's not as clean and modern. And I'm a total sucker for over the top ornate stuff. If I had the bucks I'd collect Ramlys. As it is I have to settle for modern crazy stuff - Make a die cut refracting signed set that's been aged over a Fenway sausage vendors cart flame and has bits of fenway green lead paint embedded and I'm there. Unless it's crazy expensive or just plain ugly - Over the top stuff is hard to do well.

Maybe I'll give the Donruss a try. I've spent on sillier things.

Steve B