View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 12:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

I liked the competition too. Donruss was my favorite in 81. (Which might say a bunch about my collecting tastes)

Topps regular set has been very ordinary the last few years, And while I like them, so have Gypsy Queen and A+G . They change up just enough stuff to keep it interesting.

I think it's partly the uniform and other cards that drive the number of sets. And partly the size of the sets and Topps own ability or lack of ability at collation.
I buy almost entirely at retail now. The kids make getting to the card shop a bit of an adventure. Especially since they sell other stuff. It's hard looking at cards when you've got to chase the 3 year old who's emptying the boxes of rubber dinosaurs , pokemon keychains, and whatever else onto the floor then running to the next display.

I bought Topps base stuff in 2011 for the anniversary stuff. less in 2012, and very little in 13 and this year.
I have bought a bunch of GQ and A+G, and Bowman Platinum, a chrome ish product that's more like two small sets sold together. And Chipz and Cubi (Platinum and Cubi are an addition to the list, making an even 20)

I don't expect Chipz and cubi to be back, so maybe only 18 this year.

What happens is that I reach a point where I can buy a couple blaster boxes and only get one or two cards I need. And just about then some new product is on the shelves. If I start with the base set, it runs Base, GQ, Base serII, A+G, Platinum. Retail is only 7 main products and usually a one or two one-offs like Chipz.
That cycle runs from January/feb through late fall, and runs out just about in time for football, with some choice - If someone isn't into archives, there's another very different product available.
This year I waited for GQ, and spent more on that. Proabbly will for A+G as well.

The rest of the sets listed are the niche ones. Turkey red is online only ? I didn't know they still did stadium club, and most of the others I think are the very expensive ones with like 3 card packs that are essentially all inserts?
There's a place for those, and the stuff is nice, but they probably aren't known much outside of the hobby and probably have different customers.

I like opening day, but never see anyone buying it at retail. Not even the kids.

The days of kids spending their own money on stuff like cards are likely mostly over. And If a kid is basically just getting the folks to spring for a few packs the more expensive ones are probably more interesting. I bought my first pack in 69, none in 70. I probably wanted some other sort of candy more. same for 72. By the time competition happened I was spending my own money and had to choose which one to buy. Or since I was going to a card store- whether to buy a few packs or an old card or two. I should have bought more old stuff........

I'm bit surprised MLB hasn't leaned on Panini to get their license as well. Or does Topps have an exclusive deal? I think they used to require both. Plus player approval, and maybe the teams too?

Steve B