View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Jay Shelton

Default The State of Topps?

On my recent post about Donruss 2014 cards, I was expressing in a way how great it is to have a modern product that is NOT Topps. From my understanding (and please help me here, as I've been "out" of modern day collecting on a consistent basis since the late 1980s), baseball card manufacturers are limited now in the various products that they can make available to the public, yet Topps, especially since it became the sole licensed MLB maker of cards about 3 years ago, has produced a GLUT of product each year:

1. "Regular" Topps baseball card series
2. Topps Heritage
3. Topps Archive
4. Topps Opening Day
5. Topps Gypsy Queen
6. Topps Museum
7. Topps Pro Debut
8. Topps MLB Chipz
9. Topps Stadium Club
10. Topps Top Tier
11. Topps Triple Thread
12. Topps Turkey Red
13. Topps Tribute
14. Topps Heritage Minor League
15. Bowman
16. Bowman Chrome
17. Topps Chrome
18. Topps Allen & Ginter

I'm sure I'm leaving out some, but my goodness, almost 20 or over 20 products a year? Good grief (to quote the great Charlie Brown), that seems to be even more of an overproduction than that overproduced glut of the 1990s. Is there truly enough variety of modern collectors (as I understand several of these products are geared towards the specialty markets) to support all these products? This is one reason I am attracted to Panini and their Donruss 2014 Product and their Cooperstown product…. Thoughts?