Thread: Baseball HOF
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Great discussions of baseball against the backdrop of bigger issues like civil rights and racism. The mix of modern and old is really superb. Have to say reading about what henry Aaron went through just a few decades ago was profoundly depressing.
"The constant through all the years... is baseball." - James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
In 1989 I toured the College Football Hall of Fame then in Kings Island, OH, the Pro Football Hall in Canton and then spent four days in Cooperstown. After seeing the Baseball HOF I wondered if the staff at both the College and Pro Football Halls had ever visited Cooperstown, they were light years behind.

I just toured the Pro Football HOF again and I have to say they have surpassed Cooperstown in their displays in many regards and of course I was fortunate to see the Hunt-Casterline card collection which is beyond nice. Different sport, different customer.
I visited the Pro Football HoF last summer with my grandpa for the first time - quite sad considering I live 20 minutes from it, and have my whole life. With it being my first time, I didn't have prior experience(s) to compare it to. However, I was impressed with the technology. The hologram video was pretty cool, and I did enjoy the Hunt-Casterline card collection. The museum worker in charge of that exhibit that day didn't know the details regarding graded cards and such, so I spent about a half hour educating my grandpa and the employee.

I've been to Cooperstown once, and that was in 2011 if I remember correctly. I did it all wrong, all the way down to eating Chinese food instead of a hot dog for lunch - how unAmerican and unBaseball Fan of me (although the Chinese food was good). I'm planning on going back next year with my best friend. We're planning on heading to the induction ceremony to see Jim Thome get inducted, assuming he's a 1st ballot HoFer. The timing might work out where the trip becomes my bachelor's party, but regardless, does anyone have any tips on how to plan the trip for the induction ceremony? I have family that has a lakeside cabin on one of the Finger Lakes that we would probably be able to stay at, but how is driving in and parking on the day of?

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame