View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 08:00 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Yes, 3000 hits a big deal. You are comparing apples to oranges. Ichiro is a top of the order guy. His job is to get on base. I will take his 3000 hits over 2500 with 5000 tb, for his position in the lineup. I don't care if many of those 3000 are infield hits. It is the guys behind him whose job it is to drive him in. You also ignore that his speed is going to make up for some of those total bases by taking extra bases on other's hits.

I would take Ichiro over Thome for the top of the order. The only way I take Thome is if I have others just as good as getting on base and he is an upgrade over my middle of the lineup guys. Ichiro is also a good fielder. Thome is not.
Fielding is not part of the equation in my original post ..neither is batting order unless you want to factor in RBIs as well.... ...i can come up with new rules too but trying to keep it limited to just hits versus total bases..... Also being top of the order gave ichiro more ABs then guys after him...over 15 years that can easily be 150 or more plate appearances.

plus thome is 39th not 30th.....apples to oranges.....zach wheat is number 39 in hits..and is from a whole other era....

i not saying 3000 isnt a small feat...i just think its over celebrated versus total bases which there is ZERO celebration

reggie jackson was 86th in hits but 27 in total bases....total bases is a more of a true measure of the great hitter he was..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-08-2016 at 09:47 AM.