View Single Post
Old 02-27-2023, 11:47 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
When it does, hopefully cards that were graded previously will retain their value as one could be relatively confident in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
That is essentially (minus the grinding up perhaps) how this and the other collectibles hobbies will die. The question is whether, in the case of baseball cards, that quality of 3D printing and exact chemical replication of the constituent materials is still a few months away or a few decades away. I'm risk tolerant enough that I'm still buying, but I don't delude myself into thinking that this couldn't happen in my lifetime.
I wouldn't necessarily say that either projection is accurate. The art world has had its share of forgery scandals. I recently watched a documentary on Netflix about a master forger in NY who fooled everyone for years. The solution is provenance. If you can trace a card's ownership chain back before the years when counterfeiting was technically feasible, then you have something that may be valuable. What we need is a new kind of registry, something like a catalogue raisonné (a comprehensive, annotated listing of all the known works of an artist either in a particular medium or all media) for high profile vintage cards. If I have a T206 Wagner that I got in 1977 and have had all that time, I could register it with a high-def scan. If/when I sell it, I could notify the catalog of the transfer and the chain of title would be clean. if I consigned it to REA, it would show the auction sale and the new owner would be registered. You could even assign fictitious names to the owners with the actual owners' names kept private.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...