View Single Post
Old 02-14-2024, 02:29 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Default Memory Lane Gehrig expectation vs reality

I won this 33 Goudey Gehrig from Memory Lane last month. To say the card was misrepresented would be an understatement. Here's a couple of side-by-sides showing the auction photos vs how they look in hand. And yes, I fully realize that it was in a PSA 1 holder. But the problem nowadays is that PSA's grading is all over the place, and they regularly put VG cards into PSA 1 holders, and this is a brand new cert number, graded within the past few months. So there was reason to believe that the flaws on the card were as seen and described in the listing. It sold for 150% of what an average PSA 1 goes for because of it too ($3750 vs $2500).

Item description from the listing reads as follows:

Quote:
1933 Goudey #160 Lou Gehrig is offered here in a PSA 1 PR holder. Soiling and wear are evident on the front, but nothing takes away from the pinstriped Gehrig central image. Clear verso.
This is starting to become a pretty big problem, in my opinion. It's always been this way to some degree, but I feel as though it's gotten worse lately. Numerous auction houses are either intentionally hiding major flaws or are exhibiting extreme negligence in their omissions and scans. Say what you will about how annoying the eBay Authenticity Guarantee program is, they at least provide a layer of protection against stuff like this happening. They will reject cards that exhibit major flaws that are not disclosed or shown in the listings.

I reached out to them this morning and sent them these images. We'll see how they respond. Needless to say, I wasn't happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goudey Gehrig.jpg (200.3 KB, 1752 views)
File Type: jpg Goudey Gehrig Back.jpg (204.1 KB, 1745 views)

Last edited by Snowman; 02-14-2024 at 02:32 PM.