View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 06:09 PM
Jason B.

Battles Brothers--

Again, thanks for getting involved in the discussion directly. Your persistence honestly deserves credit.
You're getting your points across well, and you seem intelligent and thoughtful.
It's hard to win with a losing hand, but you're playing it well.

A lot has been said already, so I'll just make two quick points that are the sore thumbs for me:

Credibility: You've said that you want to gain credibility as an Auction House and develop long-lasting business relationships with folks in the hobby.
A necessary goal for an AH, but in today's world there is absolutely no way to be viewed as a credible AH with high end-appearing cards that are Ungraded.
This is not 1995, honestly, and the world has turned on that one a long time ago. Reputable AH's who receive important raw cards send them to a TPG for grading prior to auction, usually at their own expense.
It's standard of practice, and you are a brand new AH that is outside of this Standard at the moment.

Relationships: Similar to above, you've clearly stated that you want to build long-term relationships in the hobby.
But Vintage collecting is not a vast, anonymous empire. Everyone -- absolutely everyone -- who is in this hobby for more than a minute establishes relationships with fellow collectors and sellers.
I understand that you have been exposed to cards through your family, but is there no-one in the hobby world that could vouch for your intentions? This beggars belief, honestly.
To me, this is the most concerning and unbelievable piece of the puzzle, and it speaks to your intentions in the hobby as temporary, not permanent.

The established Auction Houses grew organically from long-standing relationships in the hobby. They were not started up just because someone had a supply of cards they wanted to move and the ability to use SimpleAuctionSite.com.

Many of us invest 4, 5, and even 6-figure sums on Vintage cards. We need to feel like that buying experience is safe and secure, not like I'm buying something out of the back of some guy's van in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Anyway, if in 10 years Candiman Auctions is a reputable and established Auction House, then it will be a hard-fought and incredible victory for your stated convictions. I'll be in line to give you a big high-five if that's the case.