View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 03:38 AM
Bill Hedin

Default some "old school' memories!

Well, I'm now 50 years old and I've been in the hobby for a good 40 of them!
I keep reading "old school" in this and other threads and I am hoping that we can share some old school things done by the old schoolers! Here's a few:

1. Phone Calls were a no-no in the 1970's with most old school guys. I can recall the SCD big advertisers with their "to the point" phone rules that included "no calls on Sunday" and "if you call after hours I'll just hang up on you" and my favorite "some of you have been abusing my phone hours and soon I'll be taking no phone calls:, lol! Back in the 70's I recall my friend Bob Thing's Trader Speaks auctions that ended say midnight. I had a pleasant conversation with Rob Lifson a few years back about how the two of us got creative to sneak around and bid without waking our family! Rob was more creative than me in the Bob Thing auctions! We had a good laugh about those fun old days! Rob's a decent guy who (just like us) loves our hobby's rich history.

2. Another quirk was that in the 70's sme of the big dealers would get furious and refuse to sell you cards if you referred to the cards as an investment!

Those are the first two old school things that come to my mind. I hope om of you will write a blurp about your "old school" quirks, stories, etc.., We can use a good laugh as we stroll down our memory lane!

Bill Hedin <---Wife & I are off to walk our dogs every day at 5:30am and then 5:30pm!My ogs are Holly (hound 55 lns and Sadie (Black Lab) 80lbs!