View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 01:06 PM

I had the opportunity to talk to Larry on the phone a few years before he died. I was trying to buy some 1911 and 1912 Zeenuts and there was a sudden huge run on them from his catalogue because at that time there were at least 5 collectors (all from Net 54) who were buying them all up at very reasonable prices. Larry ordered a freeze on all the Zeenuts and would not sell anymore at the listed prices. I had called about the "freeze" and was told Larry wanted to speak with me. His concern was that I was a collector and not a dealer and when I convinced him, he lifted the freeze so I could buy about 25 cards I needed. We spoke for a couple of hours about the hobby and I really enjoyed the conversation. Yes he was old school, nothing wrong with that, I'm a little old school too with regard to the hobby although guys like Quan know I finally was pushed in to having my cards slabbed and have never looked back
I think there are a lot of younger colectors in the hobby who are "old school" also and thank God, I wouldn't want a bunch of guys like he who shall not be named and was recently booted off the board again, running the hobby. "Old school" is not just being old, it's recognizing it is a hobby foremost and loving the cards we buy, sell and trade. It means helping other collectors along. Sure we all like a good deal and all recognize the value of cards, but its a certain kindness that goes with it, not the caustic and brutal "you fire a rifle, I'll fire a missle and I'll squash you if I can in getting cards attitude."
The best reason to go to Nationals is to meet and greet fellow collectors, especially those you only know by their ebay names. Maybe that's naive and I will be trying to find some cards and complete sets but it's the comeraderie I most enjoy at Nationals. As someone once said, you can't take the cardboard with you but friendships, however brief, endure....