View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 02:14 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Maybe a lot of their customers buy from them exclusively? Maybe they aren't even looking other places for the same card for a better deal? In that case, VCP is irrelevant.
I will qualify by saying that I could be wrong, but I think that we are more educated than most collectors (present company excluded), and therefore, we look at the hobby through our prism. If I go back 5 years when I got back into the hobby, I saw plenty of advertisements for PWCC even before I joined this site. I then put them into my search on Ebay after seeing a couple of their auctions. As a result, I get a notification every time that their auction starts. I might not be looking for something specific, but I look at their auction every month and something might catch my fancy and I will make a bid. As time has gone on, my want list has gotten tighter and I tend to do the search by card, but at first, it was by the seller. In addition, in 2012, I had no idea what VCP was and figured if there were a lot of bids on a card, it was a good card and the price would actualize at the market rate.

My son has been doing some buying and selling of clothes and shoes on ebay while at college. Today, He called me and told me that he bought some high end jacket for $408 from a company and called me excited. I lectured him for a few minutes and he informed me that he would double his money. He then called me back 30 MINUTES LATER to tell me that he had sold it for $930 as a BIN. So, after fees, he cleared $429. I was happy for him and terrified at the same time because he will continue to do this. My point to him when I was lecturing him was "why would someone pay $930 when they could buy it themselves for $408?" His response was "Rich kids are lazy". This is probably a stretch, but I assume a perfect market and educated consumer and sometimes they just aren't.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set