View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcking2722 View Post
My collection is based on the All Century Team and I collect signed items, memorabilia, and cards of the players named to the team. I also collect some other HOF Baseball items as well such as the hat below that I picked up about a month or so ago.

1957 Brooklyn Dodgers Don Drysdale Game Used hat
Great "Big D" hat!!

BTW, Did you ever hear that Drysdale was the designated "enforcer" on the Dodgers, especially later in his career? He subscribed to the Sal "The Barber" Maglie school of knocking players down. It was once said that Sal Maglie would knock his own mother down with a pitch if it would help him get a "W" (sic). Listening to Don Drysdale talk about this topic when he was a broadcaster for the Angels in the 1970's was always entertaining...

I seem to recall reading that Sandy Koufax never liked to hit opposing batters on purpose because he was afraid he might injure them or end a career. He asked Big D to take care of business as his proxy.

Drysdale would write the name of opposing players that he was suppose to hit inside his game hats and would refer to the lists frequently so that he would leave no stone unturned. You have to admire someone that is so passionate about their trade!