View Single Post
Old 11-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Default Grading hits home

Posted By: Ben

Greg, I appreciate your response. Quite honestly, I was shocked to see that card in a slab when I first came across the auction, and still believe it does not belong in one. But I do think this says more about questionable grading standards over at GAI than it does about any of your actions. The right edge seemed clearly trimmed to me since the first time I saw it, possibly the bottom edge too. I was very, very surprised when I read in your post that several graders at GAI thought the card was good. But hey - I could be wrong.

Regarding alterations, I guess you're right...it just comes down to what one qualifies as an alteration. Cards that have been soaked, glued, rebuilt, pressed, and trimmed consistently make it into the holders of at least two of the three major grading companies for prewar cards. It just aint right. I try to skirt the issue by focusing on raw fr/gd-vg/ex cards, because they are far less likely to be altered than higher grade cards in slabs. But if you say that the hole on that card was covered up simply by pushing back excess paper, then I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Never occured to me the entire time I owned it. Anyways, I sorta feel a bit bad for swinging the spotlight back on Greg again, because my dealings with him up until now have always run smoothly. And I surely don't want another albatross thread like the infamous e95 Cobb or OJ Kelly threads.