View Single Post
Old 09-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Proofs?

Posted By: ramram

As I mentioned earlier, I had a chance to view a half plate tintype a few years ago that I believe carry a connection with these pieces. As I recall, I believe it was also an Omaha player. Admittedly, I've got a great deal of experience with hard images (tintypes, ambrotypes, dags) from the 1850-1860's period but not as much with later periods. The tintype had just about disappeared by the early 1880's and the process may have changed somewhat but the one I viewed did not appear to be "right" in my opinion. I also recall bidding on a couple of similar tintype images, prior to this time, but luckily did was not the winning bidder.

Furthermore, I have gone back in some of my old HCA (Historical Collectible Auctions) catalogs and pulled up some other interesting items for what it is worth. In their June 2002 auction there is a "Goodwin tintype of Omaha Baseball Player Sliding. Half plate tintype of baseball player...This tintype is marked in negative "Burns L.F. Omaha W.A." and "Copyright 1888 Goodwin & Co."". The next lot was "P H Mayo & Bro. Photo of Omaha Baseball Player. Photograph on heavy cardboard of baseball player in uniform leaning on bat. This cabinet card sized photograph has written in negative "P.H. Mayo & Brother Tobacco Co." at top and "Doran T.B. Omaha W.A." at bottom and "Copyright 1888 Goodwin & Co." at right corner". Also, in the May 1998 catalog there is a single framed set of photos described as "Baseball Photo Sequence. Very interesting framed display of five silver print photos [not sure if the auction company was accurate on calling them silver prints or not but this could be important], each 4-1/2" x 6", depicting a late 19th century baseball player in a sequence of batting, catching, and fielding a ball. The man is IDed in negative as Doran T.B. Omaha W.A. and photos are marked Copyright 1888 by Goodwin & Co. There is a little bit of staining around edges.... Overall 26" x 8-1/2" in period frame."

Rob