View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Default Open letter to STAT and Christopher Morales

Posted By: <b>Richard Simon</b><p>When we authenticated for Tracer Code we examined mostly scans , but the better items were sent to us upon our request. We issued very few COA's but the items that we did issue COA's for were always examined in person.<br />The items that we did not see in person were not necessary to see in person. <br /><br />Two weeks ago three scans were posted here of Ruth, Johnson and Wagner autographs which were for sale on ebay, many people rendered worthwhile opinions on those items, by just viewing the scans. I had also written to several other highly respected people in the autograph business and sent them scanned copies of these autographs. All the opinions were unanimous in that the autographs were bad.<br /><br />In addition during the HBO series, Mr Jaffe came across the famous Upper Deck $85,000 card with four autographs on it. Ruth, Cobb, Wagner and Johnson.<br />Mr Jaffe determined that Ruth and Johnson were forgeries and proceeded to send scans of those two autographs (without showing that they were from the Upper Deck card) to Jimmy Spence, myself, PSA, Steve Koschal, Jim Stinson and Seth Boyd. All of these people, based only on the scan, agreed with Shelly. <br /><br />When something is obviously bad, a skilled authenticator can determine that the item is bad from a scan. When there is some doubt the item will then always be examined in person. We would never issue a COA without an in person examination.<br /><br />I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.<br />Unknown author <br />--<br />We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.<br />No retreat baby, no surrender.<br />The Boss