View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 10:35 PM
Scott Ti3k

This might not be a rare item, or have much value from a monetary stand point, but this little thrift store find holds a lot of nostalgic value for me.

When I was a young developing Cardinals fan I used to check out an earlier edition of this book from our local library at least once a month, I never grew tired of pouring over the history of my beloved Cardinals or seeing all the old amazing pictures the book contained.

The author, Mr. Bob Broeg, had such an amazing amount of knowledge on the Cardinals as he grew up in St. Louis and after finishing up college (proud Missouri alum) and a stint in the Marine corp he was named Sports Editor of the St. Louis Post Dispatch in 1958. He continued to write for the paper into the mid 1980s. He wrote his very last column in 2004.

He served as member of the Board Of Directors for the Baseball Hall Of Fame, along time member of the Committee of Baseball Veterans, was awarded the J.G Taylor Spink Award in 1979 & was elected to the National Sportscasters & Sportswriters Hall of Fame in 1997. The St. Louis Chapter of SABR is named for Bob Broeg.

To say this man was a huge influence on my love of Cardinals baseball & baseball in general would be an understatement. What makes the book even more special to me is that Mr. Broeg has signed the inside cover. I also own a signed copy of his Stan Musial biography. Very happy to add this to my collection!

Last edited by cardsfan73; 08-01-2018 at 11:59 PM.