View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Default Starting the Obaks... any advice???

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Thanks for the plug, Steve.

Ray, I was sort of faced with this decision several months back as well. I was getting into PCL and minor league sets heavily and I wanted to do something with the Obaks. I initially stayed away from the 1909's because they're very difficult to find, never show up on Ebay and very hard to pry away from people in trades. The examples of 1909s that have shown up for me, like many in my set, are usually in deplorable condition. Initially, I decided against starting 1909s and focused on the other two sets because 1910s and 11s are very affordable, always on Ebay and you can get them in nice shape still.

I also wanted a set I could go after affordably without needing to worry about premium cards. I felt I could do the player set of the 1910s as there really aren't any premium cards except for the variations. 1911s had Peckinpaugh, Ten Million and Weaver cards so I figured I'd start with the 1910s and go from there.

I ended up having the opportunity to buy two larger groups of 1909s and did so. Those two groups gave me over 50 of the 77 cards in the set so I figured since I was that close to completion, I might as well keep after it. This was back in March/April and I've picked up about 14 cards since then to push my total to around 64. I really like the look of the 1909s better than the 1910s and thought the horizontal cards in the 09 set were really neat so I ended up giving up on my 1910 group and sold all of the cards to a single board member. There were over 90 cards in the group and coincidentally, I believe that very group is being offered in BST right now.

Not sure if any of that answers your questions but hopefully it relates to your experience a little bit. Take care,

Brian