View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 PM

Default Motorcycle Statue et al

Photobucket

Photobucket

Aprox 7 inch tall hight to top of girls head - cast in white metal

I saw this little statue at a show last May just a day before I was leaving for Brimfield…Had I not been heading there I might have gotten it but wanted to save fire power…It's probably Austrian as it has that feel..I mostly collect American things but gladly make an exception for this..I’m friends with the dealer who deals in bronzes…He said he doesn’t usually deal in white metal pieces but the subject and quality pursuaded him....The definition of the casting is remarkable…right down to the leggings and ladies scarf or hat or what ever it is

Yesterday he still had it and I saw it again at a show….I wasn’t in the mood to spend the money so left without it again…Today I sized up my coffee table and figured a way to insert it in with the tumult…About 5:00PM today I called the dealers store and got his cell number at the show…I called him and said I’d take it….

He knows me and we’ve done business before…he said it was mine and told me a gal had come by earlier and told him she would come back at the end of the day and buy it….he asked her if she wanted him to hold it but she said no…So we closed the deal and agreed on the payment details…and all was good….about an hour later he called me back and said the gal came back to get it and he explained someone bought it…Phew that was close! The Lord blessed me on that deal!...In twenty three years it’s one of three antique motorcycle statues I’ve seen…The dealer once had a bronze one with one rider I passed on....I heard it went for big money up the food chain….and I saw another one at a show in L.A. once that sold really quick as the dealers were setting up….

By the way…at that show back in May…Though I passed on the motorcycle I did get the little die cut easel back sign of service men playing pool, see below...It's not a November pick up but what the hay..

12" x 12"
Photobucket

FYI Below are two other things I saw yesterday..that basketball is actually a propane tank....dealer said the U.K. is University of Kentucky and that someone painted to look like a basketball….dealer said he had another that was painted as a baseball…said he sold it and it ended up on 1st dibbs…

the lower photos is speculated to be a store advertising display for the Rittgers statues…the little c1940 comical figures of various sports et al….It’s the baseball umpire…flat back hangs on the wall…about 18” tall…it was out there but it wasn’t cheap…It had my attention but I ended up passing...dealer said extremly rare..and I'm sure...quality was so good had to have been made by Rittgers..fiberglass inside

Photobucket

Photobucket