Thread: Ebay auctions
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Default Ebay auctions

Posted By: Bob

Before there were any bids on the card I made an offer to buy the card. I offered him a reasonable amount based on his statement of value (which is the SCD 2007 price by the way) and he counter-offered with a higher price, which I agreed to. I then sent the money by instant paypal transfer. He indicated he had received it and would end the auction and send the card Monday morning. At that time, before he endd the auction, there was an initial bid of $7.99 (starting bid) and carmelcard (Andy C?) made a bid which showed up at around $22.
All was well until someone emailed the seller and told him the SCD 2007 catalogue was way too low and the card was worth "5 times that much," not $600 for an excellent card but $3000. Remember this card was poor to fair at best. In any event I got a song and dance about his teen age son which may or may not be true, but agreed to accept a refund of my money.
Just wanted to let the board know as this is a sore subject among some (the ending of auctions early-even when there are no bids). I don't want to start another 300 post thread but I know that 50% of the regular posters on this board have done this at one time or another so please spare me the holier than thou posts. I have done this 3 times over 10 years, once I paid the going price for an E97 proof, the second time someone from the board (I know who) managed to screw me on the acquisition of one of the last 1910 Obak series of 150 cards I needed for my set. I ended up buying that very same card from Barry Sloate about 6 months later after the guy who purchased the card when it was relisted consigned it to Barry and actually paid less than I was paying for it the first time! This is the 3rd card and once again someone managed to intervene. I'll never know if he perceived his intervention as some sort of altruistic and moral high ground measure or whether he just did it for pure spite or a jealous motive so he could now own the card. I guess I don't really care but to a collector who was thrilled to buy a Baltimore News card, thanks a lot whomever you are and I hope you have a wonderful holiday season....