View Single Post
Old 10-27-2018, 05:36 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
DJ, I think "more is better" to an extent. In fact, I think the hobby will eventually get to 3-4 Nationals a year - each in a different season, and each in a different geographical area of the country. Now then, this may adversely affect a few of the large regional shows (e.g., the Chantilly Show). I have little doubt that the major dealers, auction houses, TPGs, etc. would attend all of these Nationals. As I see it, REA is a good example for "more is better." REA went from 1 auction per year to 2 auctions per year to 3 auctions per year (beginning in 2019); and, REA is attending lots of regional shows nowdays (and so are several other auction houses). The risk to major hobby players for not attending the hobby's major shows is "snooze, you lose" IMHO.
I wish this would happen, but we are in a period of show decline, not increase. so i see almost no chance of additional successful nationals emerging. Again I wish they would but I don't see much chance of this happening it has become an internet world wether we like it or not. Most major dealers and auction houses used to do 30 to 50 shows a year many are now at less than 10. Shows are dying it is sad as i love them but I see almost 0 chance of 4 nationals unless almost al major regional shows disappear and this is all we get as far as major shows. I also believe much of the increased REA presence is due to new ownership being more aggressive and seeing the opportunity to create more revenue for themselves with a third auction, which again major auctions and ebay are the main thing killing shows.

Last edited by glynparson; 10-27-2018 at 05:43 AM.