View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 10:05 AM
Mike Kendall

I lived in Kansas City in the early 80's and always attended an annual card show which featured a different autograph guest each year. The years I attended they had Hank Aaron, Stan Musial, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle and Joe DiMaggio.

Mantle was my boyhood idol and I was so excited about getting to see him up close and receive his autograph. The line was unbelievable and it took 3 hours before I finally arrived in front of The Mick. He had a beer in one hand, and a sharpie in the other, talking with Hank Bauer. He never looked up, never acknowledged anyone, and could obviously care less about the whole thing. By this time in my life I knew Mantle was not a role model and had many issues, but it was still a disappointment.

Joe DiMaggio on the other hand was a true gentleman. He wore a suit and tie, acknowledged everyone he signed for, shook their hand, and thanked them for being there. What a contrast.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown