Thread: October pickups
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2015, 06:03 AM

Default October pickups

I recently picked up a few unique new items to add to my advanced Johnny Vander Meer collection.

The first two are items that I have wanted to add for a few years since I first learned of their possible existence:

1) An extremely rare 1938 promotional booklet entitled "Souvenir of John Vander Meer's Two No-Hit Games". This booklet was produced by a Cincinnati printing company hoping to ride the popularity of Vandy's unparalleled feat of pitching back-to-back no-hitters in 1938. The booklet includes information about other pitchers that had been previously successful at throwing two no-hitters. Additionally there is play by play coverage and box scores for both no-hitters. I know of only two of these in existence that survived the 77 years since it was first printed. Dimensions are 4" x 6" for anyone that cares.

2) Johnny Vander Meer Schlitz Brewing Co. business card. After spending 30 years in professional baseball (player, coach, manager) Vandy was approached by the Schlitz Brewing Company to act as their representative calling on US military bases throughout the US. I had previously picked up two Schlitz promotional photos of Vander Meer. I thought it would be neat to find one of his business cards as a complimentary piece and I finally found one on eBay. I have included pictures of both of these Schlitz promo photos.

3) Original photo of Vander Meer receiving his plaque when he was inducted into the Cincinnati Reds HOF in 1958.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-01-2015 at 08:08 AM.