View Single Post
Old 01-31-2002, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Default here is the deal with SGC "authentic"

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

I think this a great topic. I love the idea of getting a card graded (if it's authentic!) weather it's trimmed or altered. Some people still buy trimmed cards for fillers, as long as they know it's authentic. If SGC will not grade an altered card then I don't see the point, I mean isn't the point of sending a card to a "Grading" company, is to have it graded. What I'm trying to say is that if the card is unaltered and authentic then it will be slabbed, so who cares about the grade especially on the rare cards. The way I see it is this, and I know I'm not alone here, I really hate to get an altered card back with no true definition. Sure they say it's altered, but where, how . Maybe they could add some kind of report card with the return of a altered card, or slabb the card with an "Authentic Trimmed" or " Authentic Colored" ect. on the lable. I would feel a little better when I got the card back. At least I'm getting some plastic for my $20. I hate to say it, but from a bussness stand point I don't think that day will ever happen, I mean SGC is only charging $7-$20 a card. I bet that they actually save quite a bit of money by not having to slabb altered cards. I know they only pay a few cents when it come to the slabb itself, but they also don't have to pay the printer and press operator ether, and when you add up all of those penny's and concider they have got to be encasing 100's of thousands of items, and I would say atleast 10% if not more have got to be returned as altered, it adds up to a lot of savings. So if they decide to slabb everything that comes in the door, regardless if it's altered or not, then it will cost them more money in the long run for sure. The same prices they've been getting but insted of returning the card raw, in will have to go through the encasing process. SGC is the best bar-none, but bussness is bussness. "If it ant broke why fix it!" Keep up the great work SGC!!! Just my opinion of course!
Trevor