View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 12:34 PM
Todd Schultz

Net54 member DKathm@n posted an article written by Lionel Carter from the Jul-Aug 1958 issue of Sportfan newsletter, which makes it clear (to me anyway) that these sets had gone decades with little to no reporting. I say that assuming that he--Carter--would have been aware of the work and reporting done by Burdick and others who preceded him, yet the 1958 article basically announces the m101-4 set as a new discovery from Preston Orem. Thus two of the then hobby giants were just learning details of m101-4. The article is also inaccurate in a few respects, indicating the cards were not well known to the hobby and were not well checklisted.

Also, Mike Aronstein wrote an article about the Famous and Barr set in the 1971 issue of The Trader Speaks, and stated "I believe this is the first time this set has been seen much less check-listed [only 188 cards confirmed at the time]". Because F&B is the most common advertisement seen on m101s except for The Sporting News, it seems very odd that these cards went more than a half century without much if any reporting.

Perhaps someone can post scans of the m101-4/5, D329, 350,352, and H801-9 descriptions used by Burdick in his various iterations of the ACC, to see if we can spot other clues as to how these descriptions may have changed over the various years the ACC was published.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 06-12-2018 at 12:35 PM.