View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 12:01 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
one 'quick fix' can be if there is ever a bid retraction on an auction you 'won' you have the option of canceling with no recourse.... i know its not a total fix but i know i would drop out of any auction in which someone bid more than me, then 'retracted'...i would than drop out of that auction but right now i always honor paying on any items i 'won'...so if the rules were clear i coudl get out of a 'win' if there was a bid retraction that may prevent some abuse
This won't work, and will only encourage more shilling. The shiller will just have a friend or a fake account put up a bid on the auction, and then retract it. Then if the shiller inadvertently "wins" an auction, they will just say there is a retraction, and back out of the winning bid. However, that data point will still be in VCP and completed sales on ebay. If the shiller does not win the auction, they will just count on the winning bidder purchasing the card anyway even though there is a retraction in the bidding history.

Frankly, I think ebay has to change their software to allow sellers to block bidders who have retractions in their history. For example, I know some retractions may be legitimate like a bidding mistake. However, I would still say sellers should block bidders who have more than 1 retraction per month. The other thing I would say is that ebay should also give sellers the option to show the full bidder id in their auctions (and bidders who know which auctions will show their full id's). If ebay does provide this option, then PWCC should display the full bidder id's in their auctions (and other major consignors like Probstein123 should follow). Finally, I think some major auction houses, if you don't pay after winning an auction, they state that they will publish your name and out you as a nonpaying bidder (I think Clean Sweep has said they would do this). For any repeat non-paying bidders, PWCC should publish the name, city, and state of this person on its website. Hopefully, that would help in dissuading some of the shilling going on.

Last edited by glchen; 06-27-2016 at 12:14 AM.