Thread: 19th century
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 06:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Joe G (hi Joe) posted this just now in the new pick ups thread but it fits here nicely too. So I took the liberty of copying it here. Great Cabinet, Joe!!LL

A cabinet from the family of Pretzel Getzien, won from recent LOTG auction (thank you Al). In rough condition for sure (trimmed copy on left), but love the collectables with direct connection to the players themselves. The consignor explained that Pretzel Getzien was her great, great grandfather. There is a small "X" at top, left of center, by the portrait of Getzien. The consignor furthermore shared family stories such as “I rempember my Grandma telling me that his wife made all his shirts because he was so muscular he couldn’t fit in store-bought clothes! But he was embarrassed that it made him look cheap, so he wouldn’t let her tell anyone! Evidently she was a wonderful seamstress but must have told!”

Getzien's success mirrored the Detroit Wolverines with his two best seasons in 1886 (30-11) and 1887 (29-13). He led the pitching staff in 1887 and would continue into post-season with a 4-2 record against the St. Louis Browns.

The second copy of the cabinet (on right) was obtained years ago and once belonged to Deacon White. I suspect all the players were given copies of this cabinet after winning the Championship in 1887.

I was also able to pick up an N300 of Brouthers with decent eye appeal despite the pin hole (again from LOTG).